Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Clean is Mean (INSANITY DAY 10)

I'm about two weeks into eating clean, and I can't imagine how I haven't done this before! I love eating clean. You would think that eating a diet of mostly veggies, lean meats, and fruits, and limiting grains (even whole grains) and saving starches for cheat meals (corn, potatoes, white breads) would leave me hungry, but it does just the opposite. By eating low glycemic foods that are high in fiber and protein, they fill me up and I stay full for a long time! And best of all, I can eat as much as I want :)) To help you give an idea of how much more clean food you can eat for the amount of calories:

Yesterday I had a job interview and didn't have time to fix myself a meal so I stopped by the convenience store and bought Special K Cracker chips and a Greek Yogurt Granola bar. The chips were 110 calories for the package (not bad for chips) and the granola bar was 160 (typical for a granola bar but I picked it for it's 7 grams of protein). So together those two snacks were 270 calories. When I got home, I was naturally hungry (the cracker chips weren't all that healthy and the granola bar had a lot of sugar) so I ate all this between when I got home and when I went to bed: for dinner, sauteed kale, spinach, garlic, onions, portabello mushrooms, and tomatoes with wild-caught salmon and a sprinkle of feta cheese. Then for a post-dinner snack I had carrot sticks, raw cauliflower, and celery sticks with a little bit of hummus, and some sliced grapefruit. ALL of that together was only 284 calories, a MERE 14 more calories than a bag of "healthy chips" and a granola bar.

Then, because of all my healthy eating I still had about 500 calories left to meet my daily goal of 1,380 calories (and if I don't eat at least 1,200 my metabolism will slow down) so for dessert I made a whole wheat waffle with a small teaspoon of almond butter, a sliced strawberry and blueberries, and a drizzle of agave nectar (thanks Pinterest!) and a glass of fat-free milk. All of that together was only about 280 calories. So after my workout, I ate bowl of Special K Protein cereal with a handful of blueberries and made my protein shake with milk instead of water. If you're keeping track, I ate alllllll of that food yesterday for about 1,350 calories. To put it into perspective, a typical meal at Chili's is about 1,400 calories ALONE. That's not including appetizers, drinks, or dessert.

Today was Mediterranean day in regards to my diet. I had a delicious caprese salad that was so pretty in color I took a picture (no Instagram filter needed!)

For dinner me and my dad made a delicious Mediterranean flatbread pizza. I promised a recipe so here it is!





Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza (makes 2 servings)

The crust is Whole Grain Naan from HEB (found in the Deli section)
First we brushed the flatbread with the olive oil from my caprese salad (just olive oil and basil)
The "sauce" was actually just a teaspoon of a mixture of salsa and red pepper hummus
Then we sprinkled about 1/8 cup of  Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage crumbles among the pizza
On top of the turkey sausage was a sliced baby Portabello mushroom, about 10 cherub tomatoes, and handful of spinach.
Then we added about a teaspoon of feta cheese crumbles, and some red pepper and oregano, and a tiny bit of Parmesan.
We baked it in the oven for 8 minutes on a pizza stone in the oven at 350 degrees. Then for two minutes my dad broiled the pizza to brown it a little and slightly melt the feta cheese.

For a "ranch" dipping sauce, I mixed a couple tablespoons of fat-free plain Greek yogurt with a teaspoon or so of Hidden Valley Ranch mix and a splash of fat-free milk to make it a little more smooth. All together the meal was about 260 calories, which is less than one slice of normal pizza with no ranch (the size of my portion is comparable to about two slices) and I was full afterwards! This healthy pizza also had only 9 grams of fat and a whopping 14 grams of protein. ONE slice of Papa John's thin crust supreme (sausage and veggie) pizza would be 290 calories, 15 grams of fat and 11 grams protein. And I can almost guarantee you that one slice would not be enough...

Hopefully this post will inspire you to consider eating clean! Not to mention how much more energy I have, how much better my skin looks, and how delicious everything is :))



No comments:

Post a Comment