Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Year, New Hair!

Today I discovered a new love, Kale. Kale is delicious sauteed or raw, a green leafy veggie loaded with beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, and rich in calcium. I tried it first sauteed in olive oil and cracked pepper with a fresh garlic clove, red onion, cherub tomatoes, and wild-caught salmon, and then crumbled some feta cheese on top. So good and less than 200 calories for the entire dish!



Then mom and I went out for me to get a new haircut! I was nervous because I chopped off a LOT of hair, it used to be almost to my ribs and now it looks like this!



It looks slightly different now because I had my stylist tweak it a bit after I took this pic. It has a slight angle to it and is shorter in the back than it is in the front. A "long angled bob" is the proper term for it! It's a dramatic change but I absolutely love it! My hair feels a lot healthier now too. I probably will miss my long hair soon, but it's just hair, it'll grow back! (Plus, eating healthy and exercising makes your hair grow faster, in case you didn't know!)

By the time we got out of there it was time for our second meal, so we headed over to Whole Foods. It's a healthy eating mecca but it's also kinda pricey. We figured it was our best bet to grab something healthy! We shared a roasted chicken and avocado sandwich called "The Mopac". It was delicious and kind of a splurge because it also had a little bit of pepperoni on there for a kick and chipotle mayo and jack cheese. It was also on a white bread panini. I think I want to re-crate it but nix the pepperoni, make a chipoltle greek yogurt spread and put it on whole wheat rye! We also sampled some Tofu and cabbage that was DELICIOUS (but I only had a bite because the Tofu was deep fried) and we bought a Mediterranean Kale Crunch Salad that I took home and ate for meal #4. It was yummy! I ate it Chickpeas, Olives and all! (and let me tell you I do NOT like Chickpeas OR Olives).

Then for my last meal/dessert I made a banana, oatmeal, greek yogurt, chocolate protein powder, and almond butter smoothie with a splash of Mootopia (a lactose-free milk) and a Stevia packet for a little more sweetness. I thought it was delicious but my mom wasn't really a fan, most likely because the greek yogurt was bitter to her and she was probably expecting a milkshake (haha). However, I got both of my parents to try almond butter and they both love it! Almond butter is much healthier than peanut butter, as it does not have the partially hydrogenated soybean oil (trans fats!) and is sweetened with cane sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup.

I love eating healthy! I do miss deep-fried, dripping in cheese, chocolate, and loaded with sauce like the next person, but that what cheat meals are for! It's okay to reward yourself once in a while, just don't overdo it. I'm going on a dinner date tomorrow with Rudy and best believe that's gonna be my cheat meal! Overall though, I just feel better when I eat healthy. My skin looks better, I have tons of energy, and when you eat as often as I do the cravings subside because you're keeping yourself full! Plus eating healthy fiber and protein loaded meals will fuel great workouts (I start Insanity on Monday, so excited!) Listen to your body. If you're hungry, it's because it's time to eat! No sense in starving yourself, because it only backfires later! 

With that, goodnight :) Can't wait to see Rudy tomorrow, I hope he likes my new haircut! :))






No comments:

Post a Comment