Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Ply-Ouch-Metrics (INSANITY Day 2)

They don't call it "INSANE" for nothin'. Day 2 of Insanity is a workout called "Plyometric Cardio Circuit". It's probably one of the hardest discs in month one. What is Plyometrics you ask?

"Plyometrics -- also known as jump training -- is a training technique designed to increase muscular power and explosiveness. Originally developed for Olympic athletes, plyometric training has become a popular workout routine for people of all ages, including children and adolescents.
Plyometric training conditions the body with dynamic resistance exercises that rapidly stretch a muscle (eccentric phase) and then rapidly shorten it (concentric phase). Hopping and jumping exercises, for example, subject the quadriceps to a stretch-shortening cycle that can strengthen these muscles, increase vertical jump, and reduce the force of impact on the joints.
Because plyometric exercises mimic the motions used in sports such as skiing, tennis, football, basketball, volleyball, and boxing, plyometric training often is used to condition professional and amateur adult athletes."
                                                                                                                    -From WebMD
From WebMD, a website where when I Google symptoms and almost always deduce that I have cancer or some other crazy disease, this is a fairly good description.

The INSANITY Plyo video starts off with a warm-up and then jumps right into the circuit training. The first circuit is just the warm-up repeated twice more with more speed each time and a 30 second break in between.After that, Shaun T gives your muscles a good stretch to prepare them for all of the jumping around that is about to happen Then the next circuit is a 4 jumping moves: suicide drills, Heismans, 1-2-3's, and mountain climbers. The last two circuits are football and basketball inspired, and the workout is polished off by some explosive abs, boxing style moves, and then a cool-down stretch. The entire workout spanned for over 40 minutes. I had to take a couple of breaks because it was really hard but I didn't let myself have more than 10 seconds before I went right back, usually holding a position such as child pose, downward facing dog, or getting on my back and doing sit-ups until I regain my breath. It was difficult but I powered through it. I can already tell that I'm probably going to be sore tomorrow.

My mom brought me a present today... more Kale and some spaghetti squash! Spaghetti squash is a squash that when cooked, it becomes a stringy pulp with a pasta-like texture. It's much healthier than pasta and gives the same effect! I can't wait to try it :)

My dad even brought me a present too... a fancy digital scale that supposedly calculates BMI and body fat percentage and tracks progress. Although I'm not sure if it's accurate, it will give me a benchmark. I just need the numbers to go down! So here's to progress! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment