Thursday, January 31, 2013

Push Comes to Shove (INSANITY DAY 24)

24 days have FLOWN by. I'm almost a month into this! CRAZY.

Anyway, today was a great day because my mom has decided to hop on the fitness train (YAY!) She started doing her Zumba videos again (I did today's with her, let me tell you even for a dancer it takes a lot of coordination to cumbia and bicep curl at the same time...) she is also incorporating Elliptical and she attempted to do INSANITY with me, but it is just a little too advanced for her.

She has been eating healthy with us, which helps, but I'm SO glad that she's finally exercising too. It's hard for me not to drown her in fitness and nutrition advice but I have to remember one thing, what works for one person doesn't always work for another.

One thing I do worry about my mom though is like in an earlier post where I addressed before, she is looking for QUICK results. My dad is already down over 20 pounds in the 24 days that we started this. But my dad was also a good 100 pounds heavier than me and he was nearly 50% bodyfat. He is losing at a good pace I just hope he doesn't hit a plateau. he is already halfway to his goal of 45 pounds and we are only a few weeks in. He has to keep progressing and maintain his weight until his birthday in order to win the contest he entered.

Anyway, my mom's battle for weight loss has always been a yo-yo quick-fix type thing, instead of a lifestyle change. 3 years ago, I decided to make a lifestyle change and although my weight has fluctuated a bit, since last year I have kept a solid 15 pounds off (I'm actually at 18 now!). Today she told me "you've lost 4 pounds, whoop-dee-doo" and it was a little demoralizing, especially when I look at my dad's progress. But I also have to keep in mind that I was already a fit person. And I am putting on muscle as I'm losing weight. My arms and shoulders are very toned and I'm seeing more definition in my legs everyday. My mom may not want my advice, and maybe she won't need it. But like I said before slow and steady will win the race!

I looked at my INSANITY calendar for month two and it is crazy. The workouts are in excess of an hour long and there is a rotation of 5 videos... AND when you take the fit test you still have a workout afterwards! Maybe this "maxed out" month two is what I need to increase my results. I really wanted to start running and lifting again but my mom convinced me to wait until after the program is finished before I go sign up for a gym membership. I decided that it can wait, because I do want to make a lifestyle change and keep this new body I'm getting. My dad and I went into a bet to see who can get a six pack first. And I'm going to win, dangit!

No comments:

Post a Comment