Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Slow and Steady Wins the Race (INSANITY Day 22)

Whenever people get on a fitness kick, they run at all gears go for a couple weeks and then get discouraged because they're not seeing any drastic results. But one has to remember that in order to have permanent and SAFE results, one should aim for about a pound a week. Especially someone like me, who doesn't have much to lose in the first place. I'm aiming to be a toned 140-145 pounds. I started at 160. That means that I only have at maximum 20 pounds to lose. I could go to 130-135, but I want to have some muscle mass. My goal may to be eventually 130 but for now I'm okay with my original goal. Much more than that would start to be on the dangerous side and would be hard to maintain if I have a lot of lean muscle mass. One of the most important things about attempting to lose weight is that you set REALISTIC goals.

A pound a week is the most recommended and safest way to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF. Sure, you can lose more than a pound a week, but that kind of drastic weight loss is difficult to maintain and can cause some weird things to go on with your skin (stretch marks, lots of extra saggy skin... nobody wants that). When you have more to lose than I do, say 30 pounds or more, it is safe to lose about 2-3 pounds a week and still keep it off.

Sometimes I do feel a little discouraged because I'm just ready to have a six pack like the girls in the video, but I'm already seeing little changes every day. My arms are getting more definition, my legs are getting toned, my butt is becoming lifted and tighter. My stomach is flatter and my hourglass shape is becoming more pronounced. And I'm seeing progress not only in looks but also just my cardiovascular endurance. Today I did the Pure Cardio warmup with ankle weights AND holding small dumbbells. I planned on completing the entire workout with them on but one busted during the warmup and I had to take it off because it was putting sand all over my living room floor. Even then, I beasted through the workout, never having to take any breaks! I had to slow down the moves a bit, but I never stopped moving. I felt so accomplished! I also did ALL of the pushups in the video. Before I started INSANITY, I couldn't even do a "boy" pushup!

Sometimes when you feel discouraged about the big picture, it's okay to find joy in the small accomplishments you make every day. Before you know it, your 60 days will be up, and you'll be 10 pounds lighter and toned like never before! Besides, when strength training, one has to remember that they're transforming their body. They're losing fat and gaining muscle, and muscle weighs much more than fat.

















The girl in the picture GAINED 9 pounds but look at her body! I'd rather be heavy muscular instead of skinny fat. I'm proud of my accomplishments so far and I know it can only get better from here!
The real moment of truth will be at the end of the week when I weight in again, take more measurements, and re-measure my body fat percentage! Then we'll really know my progress :)

PS- I got offered a job today! So now that I'm a working girl I really gotta get out of the habit of starting my workouts after midnight and posting in the middle of the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment